Thursday, August 23, 2012

Part Four, New Blood by H.G. Ferguson


Readers,
I hope your Thursday is a good one. Today we will enjoy the fourth installment of H.G. Ferguson's journey to publication. I sure have enjoyed his posts this week.
 
 
To shorten things, in March of 2010 another good friend of mine, fellow Christian writer Donna Schlachter, came down here to the local ACFWA chapter and spoke.  I went with her.  She had read the Jezebelle story (!) and gave me some good critical feedback on it.  She had also told me she knew a Christian EDITOR, not agent, who was forming a new company in Colorado Springs and was looking for “edgier” stuff.  I promised Donna I would make a submission.  Donna gave herself as a reference.

          On March 31, 2010, I sent a query email to Kristine Pratt of Written World Communications re Rebecca.  I fully expected, indeed, was dead certain to get a nice GO AWAY response the next day.

          The next day I did get a response.  Kristine was “personally delighted” because she loves both history and vampires and was intrigued with the story premise.  And she was handing it over to the editor who handles the “weird stuff,” i.e., Other Sheep.

          After I picked myself up off the floor and stopped gibbering and drooling, I again began pounding on God’s door.  Two weeks later I was asked to send a proposal and three chapters.  I did.  The next day the editor, Dale Hansen, asked to see the entire manuscript.  I sent it.  Two days after that, or thereabouts, he told me he was taking it to their editorial board.

          And so, again, I waited and I prayed.  I nagged.  I pounded.  And so, after a long period of silence broken only by my ceaseless pounding on God’s door…Dale Hansen contacted me.

          They offered me, a total unknown, never been published before, on the strength of the writing alone…A CONTRACT…

          That was in February of 2011.  I signed the contract.   And on December 20, 2011, Book One of the Calling of the Blood: New Blood was published.

          JESUS, SON OF DAVID, HAVE MERCY UPON ME!

          WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO FOR YOU?

          LORD, MAKE ME A WRITER!   

          Come back for the conclusion to this riveting story of one writer’s journey.
 
 
Here are the links for H.G.'s information.

Blessings,
Donna
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment